On Saturday January 4, 2014, I was privileged to attend the fourth staging of the Shaggy and Friends benefit concert in aid of the Bustamante Hospital for Children in Kingston Jamaica on the lawns of Jamaica House.
Attended by over 10,000 patrons (double the amount that attended the last staging), the concert commenced promptly at 8:00 pm according to schedule and boasted an international line-up of artists worthy of a Presidential Inauguration. If Jamaica had a president that is🙂.
Before making his exit, Elephant man said his performance would be short as Shaggy has a lot of friends, and correct he was. We enjoyed performances from
– Pinchers (Your eyes only, Agony, Bandelero)
– The Admirals (Bailey and Tibet)
– Carlene Davis with her tribute to the Mandalas
– Christopher Martin (Mama and Cheater’s Prayer)
– Macka Diamond with her melodious delivery of Dye Dye
– Elephant Man with his a few lines from his numerous hits over the years
– Wayne Marshall and his Son Giomar (video below)
– Agent Sasco
– Reggae Royalty Damion Junior Gong Marley
– Trinidad artist Kes
– Jah Cure and his wife Kamila
– Dean Fraser
– Ity and Fancy Cat & Johnny
– The Voice contestant and friend of Tessane Chin Matthew Schuler who sang on of his “favourite songs” Wayne Wonder’s No Letting Go
– International recording artist Neyo
– Our own International Jamaican Superstar Sean Paul
– Tarrus Riley
– Mr. Bombastic himself, Shaggy
– And our Golden Girl, the 2013 winner of The Voice, Tessane Chin
Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy rock star access to this event and was approximately 200 feet from the stage.
What’s a photographer to do?
I found an elevated platform, reached for my trusty cropped sensor camera and telephoto lens (boring photography stuff) and did my best. This was the actual view from my location.